Last November I went on a trip to the Palawan Islands – Coron & El Nido. Everyday pork sisig was on the menu. It’s so delicious. One day while shopping at an asian grocery store in the US, this sisig packet mix caught my eye. Although its hard to find all the ingredients during lockdown, I was able to recreate a similar dish.
- Cooking oil (vegetable oil)
- 500 grams of pork belly
- 1/4 cup chopped chicken liver (optional)
- 2 red onion finely chopped, divided
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 packet of Mama Sitas Sisig spice mix or any other brand
- Green and red chilies chopped
- Lemon wedges (definitely can’t find any calamansi here)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pan fry liver with a little bit of salt and set aside
- Deep fry pork belly. Chop into small pieces and set aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and onions. Saute until translucent. Add red and green chilies. Stir for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add chopped fried pork belly and liver. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add Mama Sita’s sisig packet seasoning (instructions say to mix with 1/4 cup of water)
- Season with black pepper. Stir until meat is well coated with the sauce
- Stir-in mayonnaise.
- Remove from the heat then top with more raw onions.
- Transfer to plate and serve with rice and fried egg.